Saturday 23 November 2013

Birds and thunderstorms

With the rainy season well and truly arrived I headed out after lunch following yet another brief downpour. Lots of winged ants were hatching out which often creates feeding frenzies. I was hoping for an improvement in the light but ominous grumbles of thunder indicated it probably wouldn't be long before another storm rolled in. It was very much birding from the vehicle in order to cover as much ground as possible. First of all I came upon a group of Impala with a few youngsters.

Imapala, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
An adult Martial Eagle flying over was a good record for the site, only the second ever of an adult. Next I flushed a pair of African Hoopoe from the side of the road and fortunately one landed nearby in a tree. It's a shy species locally and one I rarely photograph.

African Hoopoe, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
As lightening crackled close by I found a rather bemused looking Senegal Coucal perched up. Locally known as the 'rain bird' it was pretty apt as spots began to fall. This is only the second time I've seen this species here but as it was in the same spot I suspect it's the same individual.

Senegal Coucal, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
Driving around in the rain actually proved profitable as I found several perched raptors more approachable than usual and unwilling to fly in the wet conditions. This included a fine female Bateleur and the breeding pair of Wahlberg's Eagle.

female Bateleur, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Wahlberg's Eagle, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Wahlberg's Eagle, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
After the rain stopped I surprised a group of three Southern Reedbuck well away from the dambo where they usually frequent and I took a photograph of a young male before they scarpered into the bush.
Souther Reedbuck, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
On the way back home I stopped for a pretty male Namaqua Dove, although the razor wire spoils the photo and back at the house an approachable Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove was sitting in a tree in good light showing off the emerald spots for once.

male Namaqua Dove, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
A walk along the dambo did not yield too much apart from exceptional numbers of Great White Pelican, I think 63 of them breaking the previous site record of 20. Goodness knows what they find to eat as there isn't much water or fish left I think.

Great White Pelican, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

No comments:

Post a Comment