Thursday 14 November 2013

Lesser Kestrel

On the way back from the pit late afternoon I took a little trodden route (well at least for me) to duck round the blast guards. The site of a small falcon perched up on a small tree had me pulling a vaguely illegal u-turn. Getting out of the car I was painfully aware I had no optics with me but it looked so damn interesting. It was immediately obvious it was a male Kestrel but which one? Climbing up the berm on the side of the road it looked like the back and wings were unspotted and very bright and the overall impression was of a very slight and small bird. Good enough to secure it as a Lesser Kestrel, another new bird for the site. I left it more or less at that and drove back to the office for my bins and camera. The bird had looked pretty settled so it was surprising and disappointing to find it gone ten minutes later when I returned. As I was on work time I couldn't make an extended search, fingers crossed it will be around tomorrow again but it's probably a migrant which has dropped in briefly and already moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment