Wednesday 6 November 2013

Dark-Chanting Goshawk



Driving around site this morning I was surprised to see a Dark-Chanting Goshawk perched on an electric pole. Hardly a species to win any rarity awards but pretty unusual on the site and he first record this year. My guess is they prefer more open habitats. Also interesting to see was a pair of Broad-billed Roller prospecting a hole in in the top of a dead trunk. This would be a new confirmed breeding species for the site should they choose to build. I sat down and tried to work out the number of confirmed breeding species on site the other evening and it’s a paltry 46! There are a lot that I am sure must breed but I haven’t paid enough attention to prove it.

Leaving the office at dusk a large flock of Cattle Egret flew over, presumably in their way to roost on the tailings dam. Estimated around 100 birds this was the largest flock I've seen at the site.

For the last two weeks or so I've been hearing a Barn Owl calling in the garden around 1900 and this evening on the way to the camp bar it was perched on a bough over the drive visible in the headlights.

Dark-Chanting Goshawk, Frontier Mine, DRC

No comments:

Post a Comment