Monday 25 November 2013

Grey Plovers - yesterday

Due to a lightning related power cut I didn't have time to write up my blog last night.

I started the morning with a customary check for moths and came up a couple of new species on the security guards hut at the entrance to camp.

Dichocrocis polystidzalis, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Anaphosia cyanogramma, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

I headed straight out to the tailings as usual stopping to photograph a single Sand Martin perched on wires with large numbers of Barn Swallow. There was the usual assortment of waders and waterbirds but three Southern Pochard were the first returning for the wet season. A small flock of seven White-winged Tern were flying around and I thought I could hear Grey Plover calling. Sure enough I picked up two birds in flight and they landed for scope views. Another new species for the site but not wholly unexpected.

Sand Martin, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Southern Pochard, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

White-winged Tern, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
Back in the camp I started with a very approachable Red-eyed Dove, a bit strange as they're normally timid and then, on the walls of one the accommodation blocks, found a fine new moth.

Red-eyed Dove, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Hampsonita esmeralda, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
After a failed attempt to pull in a calling African Broadbill I stopped to enjoy the Pelican flock wheeling low overhead in bright blue skies whilst nearby a Red-backed Shrike posed on top of a small tree.

Great White Pelican, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

Red-backed Shrike, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
The Boehm's Flycatchers were still feeding young in the next but I expect to see fledgelings next week. I also found a Miombo Tit nest hidden behind a piece of loose bark and saw a brief Cabanis's Bunting. In the long grass there was a new Noctuid, surprisingly active in the daytime.

Boehm's Flycatcher, Sakania, DR Congo

Chaetostephana rendalli, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
I found a beautiful pair of butterflies happily chewing on some shit in the track a bit further on. I had no idea what they were and after going through my references in the evening I still had no clue but thankfully I got some assistance from a Flick ID help group and now I have a name.

Spotted Lilac Tree Nymph (Sevenia pechueli rhodesiana), Frontier Mine, DR Congo
One of the big gaps on my photo list are Cuckoos, they're hard to see and even harder to approach. I've made a conscious effort this rainy season to try and get some shots and when I heard a Black Cuckoo call not to far off I set my iPod to work. The bird came in quickly and landed in a nearby tall tree and began to sing enthusiastically. With a fair bit of careful creeping I finally got into position and managed to fire off a few shots through the swaying branches.

Black Cuckoo, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

The dambo had good numbers of waterbirds and a little more water at last. Three Sacred Ibis, two Woolly-necked Stork and five White-faced Whistling-Duck were the best birds. Four of the male Kudus were present and I fired off a headless shot of the upperwing of a female Bateleur.

Greater Kudu, Frontier Mine, DR Congo

female Bateleur, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
In the late afternoon I tried a different patch of woodland on site but failed to find anything of great note. Some responsive Greencap Eremomelas came in for best ever photos but despite getting a Red-chested Cuckoo to come into playback he remained obstinately unphotographable despite some stall speed tantalising flypasts - another time for that one.

Greencap Eremomela, Frontier Mine, DR Congo
With gathering thunderstorms I finished off the day on the causeway in the tailings watching the various herons, egrets and storks coming in to roost. Quite a sight as birds were obviously arriving from further afield than the local dambos. I estimated 300-400 Cattle Egrets and must go back soon to try to do a proper count.

No comments:

Post a Comment